Monday, March 15, 2010

Featherdale Wildlife Park - Blacktown, Australia

(clipped from Back of Bourke)

Rating:

Variety of animals: 7
Quality of exhibits: 7
Getting around: 9
Pet-factor: 10
Overall: 9

What to see: Koala pictures for free!, a veritable menagerie of animals to pet, I probably shouldn't encourage this, but if the dingoes are close enough to the fence, you can get a bit of a pet in there...

What to miss: I've never actually stuck around for the afternoon billy tea, so I can't comment on it

* * *

First Visit

Since arriving, I have been trying to find a weekend to go by Featherdale Wildlife Park. I had initially been dissuaded by my teammates who told me that a trip to Blacktown (where the park is located) would result in my imminent stabbing. Apparently it's only certain parts. So, in good spirits, I went with my teammate Anna on yet another trip to see animals (no, I don't get tired of this stuff).

As with the zoo trip, this visit was mainly pictorial. Let the critter-cuddling begin!


The entrance. Nothing says fun like a massive
Papier-mâché koala.

A baby koala! We were all a bit shocked when
the keeper took the baby off the mother's
back. He explained that it wasn't the real mother
and that the babies will latch on to anyone.

Vun...two...thrrree batty bats! Ah ah ah...

This little guy, a rainbow bee eater, had a
razor-sharp beak and some incredible coloring.

"Oh, hello! I'm a cassowary and I'll be your
guide for the day."

"Now, the Australian Wood Duck can primarily
be found in the Eastern and Western regions of
Australia..."

I caught me a chicken. Named 'im Fluffy.

This is a Tasmanian Devil. Vicious little beasties,
so much so that they can't be kept in the same
enclosure. A group of them can devour an entire
cow in 30 minutes or your devouring is free.

It was also feeding time for the dingoes. They
got tons of meat, hearts, and chicken legs. Yum.

And for the first time in person I got to see dingo
pups! They were playing with the food dish. I
imagine it will be quite some time before the zoo
notices one is missing...

This guy you've seen before - it's an echidna. I
did learn a new fun fact, however. A baby echidna
is called a puggle.

This guy was adorable. If you scratched his chest
just right, he would hug your hand. If this whole
Google business doesn't work out, I want to live in
a zoo. Actually, even if it does work out, I want to
live in a zoo.

A peacock in full bloom.

A peahen in white.

What happens when you combine the two?
Awkward...

This was totally the time for baby animals. This
little wallaby had a joey crammed into her pouch.

This happy little kangaroo was kind enough to
humor me with a hug.

Sidenote: koalas are fluffy.

Me looking tough with an equally tough-looking
kookaburra.

The animals here are very acclimatized to having
humans around, as evident by this kookaburra
who allowed me to pet him.

The staff does not limit the amount of food that
is fed to the kangaroos. What does that give you?
A lot of fat, lazy kangaroos. Ok, not really. I just
caught them at a bad time.

Can you spot all 4 owls? (OK, there are only 3 -
I just wanted to mess with you).

Little penguins, aptly named...little penguins.

The zoo is going to call me if they happen to find
any more of my teeth.

This guy was begging for a belly rub.

And then we played red hands for a while. His
claws gave him a distinct advantage.

I then switched to intimidation tactics. He just
mocked me.

This is a fat little wombat. I found a spot he
liked scratched behind his ear and he was putty
in my hands. After that, he followed me around
the edge of his enclosure until I pet him again.

* * *

(clipped from Back of Bourke)

Second Visit

Naturally, I had to show them Featherdale while they were here as well - the wildlife park that I frequent so often. Here are a few pictures from that little venture.

Wallabies are unflinchingly cruel. This one
beat me up and stole my ice cream.

No, this image does not need to be rotated. This
furry little guy was just having an exceptionally
lazy day.

The most sinister-looking koala you
will ever meet.

A close-up of a kookaburra - one of my
favorite birds here. This one was not
in a laughing mood. Even my jokes
did not get him to crack a smile.

Disapproving owl disapproves.

A wombat - roughly the size of an ottoman, and
exceedingly chunky, they are putty in your
hands if you scratch their backs.

A black-necked stork. These guys stand about
5 feet tall. This was the last photo taken before
my unfortunate demise.

Just kidding. Here's an albino peahen
who has my haircut.

I believe this is a black kite, a large bird of prey.

* * *

(clipped from Back of Bourke)

Third Visit

Loyal readers will know the zoo nearest and dearest to my heart is Featherdale - it's close to Sydney, not overly-crowded, and you can pet an entire menagerie of animals. My brother was staying with me in Sydney for a few months before moving on to Indonesia, so I wanted to be sure and take him along at some point as well to show him the sheer awesomeness that is Featherdale.

Brady gives a chunky wombat some love.

A golden pheasant perched in a tree..looking
very alert.

They had baby emus this time! They're patterned
differently to allow them to blend into the ground
until they get massive.

In addition to being adorable, they were also
quite inquisitive / wanted to eat my fingers.

Brady with the friendly local kookaburra.

I love Featherdale because they let you take
all the pictures you want for free. Taronga
charges $20 for pics. Boo.

Reenacting the infamous emu debacle
of 2001.

Uncanny, innit?

The dingo pups from my first visit are
growing up! But do they like ice cream
cones?

The answer is yes. Yes they do.
*crunch crunch crunch*

Male peacock, humbly keeping his goods on
the DL.

Quokka all up in yo' face.

Mmm...lunchtime.

No, really, I'm listening very intently to what
you're s-Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Peacock doing what peacocks to best -
peacocking.

Ooo...purdy.

Detail view of plumage.

A rather indignant-looking wedge-tailed
eagle. That beak is massive.

Dingoes are the ideal dog - they don't bark or
growl, and you just need to feed them hearts,
liver, and chicken feet.

Obligatory baby koala shot.

I'll be damned if some little Tasmanian Devil
is going to steal MY lunch...




Dingo gets some petting, but the other gets jealous.
Wrasslin' ensues. Note there is no barking or
growling.

No comments:

Post a Comment